Apr 22, 2008

I Am Glad I Didn't Walk With Jesus




I Am Glad I Didn't......
walk-jesus.jpg picture by MichaelATL42
Well, Sort of....

Of course I am speaking here about walking with him in the natural, walking with Him in the flesh. In other words, walking with Him during His earthly ministry.

Walking with Jesus would have been an incredible experience. Watching Jesus perform miracles. Watching Him teach the multitudes. Watching Him spread love and rebuke religion. That would have been amazing. Just being in his presence on a daily basis would have been unforgettable. But would it have been better than what we have available in Jesus today? Would it have been better than walking with him in the Spirit?

Think about it. The disciples had to deal with Jesus in his flesh. They saw him get hungry. They saw him sweat. They saw him get tired. They saw him sleep. They saw him use the bathroom. They had to see the human side of Jesus. I can imagine that Jesus even stunk. I know that sounds bad but they didn't have Motel 6's back then. No one was leaving the light on for Him. As much as they traveled in the heat with no change of clothes and no place to bath, I can imagine you could smell Jesus coming a mile away. I believe it is for some of these exact reasons that some, if not all of them, had to deal with periods of
unbelief.

But we have an even greater means of knowing Jesus. We can develop even greater levels of belief. We have the Written Word to study and meditate on. We have the privilege of learning from others who have gone before us. The prophets of old longed to have the ability to see and hear the things we can see and hear today.

For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Not only do we have the privilege of the written Word and the knowledge of those that have gone before us, but we have an even greater gift from whom we gain understanding. The Holy Spirit of God! Jesus in fact said that it would be to our advantage if he leaves.

But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

What a great gift it is to have the spirit of God available to each of us, and within each of us who believe. To teach us and guide us. To reveal things of the future and give us understanding of things of the past. Yes, walking with the physical Jesus would have been just awesome, but what we have, because he went away, is even greater!

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

We are to walk by faith and not by sight. Blessed is he that has not seen, yet still believes! I have often thought how great it would be to hear an audible voice from God. But now that I think about it, it just might ruin me. For if God spoke to me today, and then tomorrow silence, I would be devastated. I would be wondering what in the world I did to cause Him to leave. I would be spending the rest of my natural life trying to perform just to get God to speak to me one more time! But he speaks to me every day right now, he speaks through His Word.

For we walk by faith, not by sight!


Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.


Thank you Jesus for revealing yourself to us in your Word and by the power of your Spirit. It's great walking with you!



What a man! What a plan! What a God!


1 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I spent 40 years wandering around the desert before I came to know the abundant life we have available in Jesus.

That is excellent news Michael. I am a theologian and Christian blogger always looking for readers, commenters and links.

Russ:) (re BlogRush)

thekingpin68

satire and theology