Dec 19, 2007

Life Threw Me a Curve

Life Threw Me a Curve

Standing at the plate of life, I glance out at the stands
The tool to make my fans all cheer, gripped tightly in my hands
The hurler looked me in the eye, ball held as to deceive
I’ll bring my fans straight to their feet, if only I believe

He draws way back, his leg kicked high, anticipation great
I’ll drive this ball straight to the wall, this one’s fast and straight
From the side his arm swung wide, the ball began to swerve
I was thinking fastball, but life threw me a curve

With all my might I swung that bat, to my surprise I missed
Strike one, I heard the umpire yell, while thousands sighed and hissed
That’s only one, I said inside. That will not happen twice
Keep your eye upon that ball, they yelled to me advice

I stepped back up, then tapped my cleats and spit upon the ground
With shame I looked out towards the stands, the crowd without a sound
Once again he drew way back, again his leg kicked high
Thinking low and straight and fast, it curved and slid right by

Strike two, I heard the umpire yell, one more and this game’s through
I backed away, head bowed to pray, Oh Lord, what should I do?
His voice rose up within me, and I clearly heard Him say
Step back up and set your sights, you will not lose today

With Jesus’ words inside me, I stepped back to the plate
I looked that hurler in the eye, my confidence was great
From the side his arm swung wide, the ball began to swerve
Man I need a fastball, but here’s another curve

I waited a bit longer, I loosened up my grip
Anticipation killing me, while biting on my lip
I swung the bat more slowly, my eyes without a blink
I’ll hit this ball straight to that wall as long as I don’t think

Crack! - I heard that sound so loud, the ball it took a flight
Over the wall and then the stands, that ball was out of sight
My fans jumped straight up to their feet, the wave went round and round
The hurler was defeated, his curve had let him down

I trotted through the bases, tipped my hat and waved
They handed me a microphone but all that I could say
was; Jesus was the batter, cause I can't hit the swerve
If you prefer a fastball, let Jesus hit that curve!

By: Michael E. Moore


Type rest of the post here

2 comments:

Lance said...

Very well put. When life throws you a curve let God hit it.
Blessings,
Lance
www.lancessoulsearching.com
jgargus2@comcast.net

Shalene said...

Oh! I liked that poem. That was really good! May I use it someday, if I ever get my newsletter going again? Certainly, you would get all the credit. Just let me know. Blessings to you!