Oct 24, 2007

Do Not Love This World


1 John 2:15-17 (New Living Translation)

"Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever. "


This is a pretty simple lesson here. John tells us that one of the ways we can tell that we have the love of the Father in us, is by the lack of desire or love for the things that the world has to offer. Paradoxically, if you love the things that this world has to offer then you do not have the love of the Father in you.

This isn’t saying that God doesn’t love you. According to Romans chapter 8, beginning in verse 35, nothing can separate us from the love of God. But what this verse is saying that if you are going after fancy cars, huge houses, constantly seeking physical pleasure, coveting the things that others have, trying to store up treasures here on this earth then you have not received the full portion of God’s love that he wants to give you. It’s just not in you. For when you are filled with the kind of love that comes only from God, giving that love to others is all that is important to you. The “things” of this world will no longer matter.

Friends, I can honestly say that I speak here from experience. I started making pretty good money back when I was 17. Then by the time I was 26 I owned my own business. I spent many years chasing after the things of the world and putting almost all of my attention on money. What I now know that I was lacking was love from the Father, therefore, love towards anyone else. This was a formula for disaster and this formula most definitely proved to be true. Here is a link to my testimony for any of you who care to see just how true that formula ended up being.

But now, Praise God, after seeking God diligently for a few years and renewing my mind to who I am in Christ, I can say that today I am filled with the love of the Father. I could care less about anything that this world has to offer. It’s all fading away, and in the long run, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing.

See, I have been at both ends of the spectrum. I have had much and I have had little. I have been miserable in both situations. But now that I let the love of God flow through me, I find that I can be quite content in either scenario. Paul said this same thing in Philippians chapter 4, verses 10-12. Check this out:

“How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little”. (NLT)


There are several other scriptures that come to mind and I feel like I could talk about this for hours. But here is my point: Are you tired of chasing after goals that seem impossible to reach? Have you reached certain steps on that company ladder only to find out that they are not nearly as fulfilling as you had hoped they would be? Are you happy running in the rat race that the world pressures you into? Did you know that whoever wins the rat race is just the greatest rat! Is that the title you are shooting for? My advice, spend some time with the Father. Begin to let his love flow into your heart. Renew your mind to his word and I believe you will find a brand new life for yourself. One that is filled with love, peace, joy, contentment, abundance, self-control, happiness and hope!

I am out of time but thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave your comments!

Michael


5 comments:

SoakingNKnowledge said...

"I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little"

that right there sums it up, very well written and thank you for sharing

Best Wishes Always,
Marenda
Living Life Abundantly

Michael said...

Thanks for the visit Marenda. Thanks too for joining my neighborhood!

Great blog you have! COngrats!

Anonymous said...

Dear Michael,

That's a great post!

In my younger days I wanted to be one of the big rats but nowadays I prefer to be filled with God's love, peace and grace and to spread it to the people around me.

Besides, it came to a stage where I realized that being a big rat also meant that you stink, have bad breath, and nobody really likes you.

Because you do have to step on a lot of heads and 'slaughter' many and even sacrifice your soul to become the big rat.

Some folks tell me that I have no ambition because I don't want to attain those things they deem important in their lives -- the money, the house, the car, etc.

But I tell them that my ambition is to have an abundant eternal life. :-)

Shabbat Shalom, brother.

Bev said...

"If you lived on the worlds terms,the world would love you as one of it's own,but since I picked you to live on Gods terms and no longer on the worlds terms.the world is going to hate you"John15:19"It used to bother me to be hated by the world but since I found this verse I dont take it so personal"

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

Praise God! what a great post!it's painful to see every one these days going up and down for nothing and it gets worse when it is announced that someone just passed away... you immediately ask why all the stress, why work, why this why that... but the fact remains that God wants us to be busy but not carried away with it,
Ecclesiates 5:10-1210 He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. 11  When goods increase, they are increased that eat them: and what good is there to the owners thereof, saving the beholding of them with their eyes? 12  The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.
I think this passage says much about gathering wealth and storing it up. the Bible goes on and on about vanity that we cannot even speak about for the sake of time.
so I will stop here for now till later just got back from a long trip.

Thank God for all His Mercies to us all.
Godbless