Sep 28, 2007

A Solid Foundation

Luke 6:46-49

"So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

Check out how The Message translates this passage:

"Why are you so polite with me, always saying 'Yes, sir,' and 'That's right, sir,' but never doing a thing I tell you? These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on.
"If you work the words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who dug deep and laid the foundation of his house on bedrock. When the river burst its banks and crashed against the house, nothing could shake it; it was built to last. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a dumb carpenter who built a house but skipped the foundation. When the swollen river came crashing in, it collapsed like a house of cards. It was a total loss."

Words to build a life on! I love it. And how true. Take note of the fact that it says "when the floodwaters rise" not "if the floodwaters rise".

Storms are going to come your way. It is inevitable. My testimony is a prime example of what can happen to a life that is built with no foundation. I did everything my way. It' was the "Michael Plan". I built my family. I built my business. I built my house all on my own power. Now building under normal circumstances isn't a problem. It seems as though most of us can easily accomplish that. Look around you. For the most part people are prosperous. It's the land of opportunity, right?

But then along came a storm. Not just one storm, but an entire series of storms. It was hurricane season at it's finest. The morter of my meaningless life couldn't hold up. It began crumbling bit by bit. Soon entire bricks were falling to the ground. Next the walls started separating from the joists and eventually collapsed. A roof cannot support itself, it needs the walls, therefore, it was only a matter of time before my roof fell flat to the ground also. One that happened, my life was exposed to all of the elements. The floodwaters were terrible, and very tough to bear, yes. But now even a good rainfall was enough to make my life miserable.

Why did all this happen? I had no foundation. But thank God, I found Jesus!

Psalm 118:22-23
The stone that the builders rejected has now become the cornerstone. This is the Lord’s doing, and it is wonderful to see.

Now that I not only hear what he says, but actually do it, I obey, my house is on it's way up once again. I have the foundation laid. The plumbing is all brand new. The walls are framed. The joists and rafters are in place. As I renew my mind, new wires are be routed. Soon I can begin putting up sheetrock, picking out colors and shopping for furniture. It will not be long before flowers and shrubs will be growing in the yard and birds of the air will begin nesting. The neighbors will be coming over for barbecues and equity will start to accumulate! Praise God!

Friends, where are you today? Do you get a little concerned about the stability of your own house? When you see those dark clouds off in the distance does it make you just a little uneasy? Have you thought about what is going to happen when the walls come crashing down?

Jesus is the answer. I promise you that with all my heart. Be like the smart carpenter. Dig deep. Lay a foundation. If you do this I assure you, you cannot be moved!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, amen, amen!

How true that is which you write, brother.

Yet we must be reminded that though we build on Christ the cornerstone, storms will still come our way, but this time we know there is a way out through Christ Jesus for He shall provide.

Without Christ Jesus we are nothing, but with Him all is possible, and His peace which He gives us, and which passes all understanding, shall see us through whatever storms come our way!

God bless you, Michael.

Shabbat Shalom.

Carol said...

Wow! I've seen this message a lot lately. I've seen quite a few blogs where the message was to examing ourselves, check our foundations etc. (including myself) There's quite a few of us with the same message. The Holy Spirit is moving!

Great post Michael!!!

Gerry Hatrić said...

Great post.